Sunday 8 August 2021

Summer Garden Part 2

 








I had worried (as is my habit) that there wouldn't be enough plants providing Summer colour in the borders. I really shouldn't have worried.

Along with the colours of the flowers themselves, there is a greater variety provided by the leaves. 







The flower border, nearest the house and shed, has been planted with things that provide interest for every season. At the moment, the Spring-flowering bulbs have been replaced by perennials.

The Sweet-peas give a long lasting splash of pinks, thanks to the tip from GArdeners World to cut the blooms and take them indoors. This encourages new growth. 

The same goes for the Common Scabious, that I keep forgetting to deadhead.










I took some photos from different angles, including  the back of the border, in front of the side fence, where the fruit bushes have been planted.


I really must move the statue and the pot of Rosemary as they tend to block out the view from the terrace. 










The garden is maturing. Even the stepping stones are weathering beautifully.











The wild-flower patch in the lawn didn't do as well as I had hoped. 


The Ragwort is much too large there, and would have done better in the West-facing border.






Over in the West-facing border, the wildflowers have to compete with elderly ground-cover which keeps coming back, despite Bex's attempts to eradicate it. 

I transplanted the only Sunflower to survive from seed to a spot in front of the Arbour Seat. It has grown, but not very tall. I hope it will flower soon.











Other flowers have struggled through and flowered briefly.

I think this is Toadflax (common name Butter and Eggs) The heavy stems of the Berberis and Brambles flattening its stem.











The Rosebay Willowherb has had an even more difficult time. It is known for appearing on sites that have been cleared of buildings and are full of rubble, so I suppose it can grow anywhere. 

The stems of the Willowherb are hidden beneath the wild bramble; its flowers seek the light and bloom when they find it.









Gardens, like people, are never finished




No comments:

Post a Comment