Sunday 28 February 2021

The Garden in Spring

  


I did a lot of work on Levant II this morning. Sorting out the storage places for stuff that stays onboard. 

The Viburnum beside the campervan has bloomed throughout the winter. It is now full of sweet smelling blossom. Spring is definitely here. 

The season actually has two different start dates in the UK, depending on how you calculate it – here’s how it all works, and what you need to know about the Vernal equinox.

The meteorological is the simpler of the two, because it splits the year into four seasons of three full months each based on the Gregorian calendar, making it easier to compare seasonal and monthly statistics.

This means that every year spring begins on 1 March and lasts until 31 May, with summer starting on 1 June.




The astronomical season is less straightforward as it depends on the date of the spring equinox, which means the date comes later and can vary slightly from year to year.

In 2021, the spring (also known as vernal) equinox falls on Saturday 20 March. This is comfortably the most common date for the phenomenon, although it can fall any time between the 19th and 21st of the month.

I had lunch in the Conservatory and spotted some new blooms in the garden - Harbingers of Spring. My anenome were the first Spring flowers to present buds, which are now opening in the Sunshine.






The astronomical spring will then last until the summer solstice, which in 2021 lands on Monday 21 June.

Now that the snowdrops are fading, the crocus are beginning to appear at last. 








My husband died in November 2019.  I planted a lot of bulbs last Autumn in a garden I had transformed throughout  2020. Imagine my joy when, beside the anenenome, I found the first forget-me-nots in the same area I had planted alium bulbs.





Spring always began for us on St. David's Day, 1st March,  the day we became a couple in1969. Unfortunatelt, the garden dafodils have yet to flower, but I have ordered some from Bloom and Wild, that will be delivered tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment