Friday 19 March 2021

T'is the Season - First Published 19 March 2021

 




to tend the garden and plant new seeds

 



Last year, working in the garden really helped me through the early stage of grieving. I needed physical activity that also required thought and planning. A garden-makeover provided that and more. Along with the activity of getting back to the bare bones of the garden, I found a new therapeutic activity - growing some fresh produce of my own to use in home-cooked meals.

I had good crops of strawberries, tomatoes, lettuces and herbs. From June to the end of October, I had fresh salad every day from my own garden.




The garden also became a Memorial. I added plants that reminded me of Eamonn, to those already in the garden.

Clematis                 Beautiful mind

Dogwood                Stability, determination, kindness, devotion

Eucalyptus              Leadership, clarity, goals, focus and healing

HOLLY                   Defense; Domestic Happiness and security

Honesty                   Lunaria-annua symbolises honesty and sincerity

IVY                          Wedded Love; Fidelity; Friendship; Affection

Rosemary                Remembrance

Sea Holly                 Independence, severity and attraction

Sedum:                     Tranquility

Thistle                       Bravery, courage, and loyalty in the face of treachery






I had an Arbour seat erected and painted to serve as my personal Memorial to Eamonn, in the garden. It was painted and decorated as a reminder of the beach huts of which we were so fond. The old narrowboat's sea anchor is propped against the side; Eamonn's favourite plant ( Fuschia) sits alongside the arbour. A little Ratty (Earmonn's boating persona) stands beside the plant-pot with Eamonn's favourite plant - a fuschia.








Last year, on the anniversary of my father's death, I planted a Physic garden in his memory. I've always wanted to grow my own medicinal plants. My father was very knowledgeable about them, despite being a born-and-bred Mancunian. His grandmother lived in the foothills of the Pennines and it was from her that he learned all about plants and nature.

The Physic Garden has done very well, although I have lost some of the more tender plants (lemon verbena and echinacea) and woodland plants (foxglove) 

I have some ideas about how to replace them. Last month's Gardener's World Magasine had some free echinacea seeds that I will sow in the conservatory nursery later this year. 





Meanwhile, the Spring Equinox is almost upon us. I am getting great joy from the bulbs I planted last year. The crocus have put on a grand show in their first year of blooming, 











as have the brilliant white  anemones.










The views of the garden are much changed from last year. It is more open and more colourful. The view from the corner where the dogswood has just been pruned is testimony to the hard work put in by various workmen, myself, and my gardener, Bex.









In addition to bulbs that will bloom later in the year, the borders are showing new growth of plants that were buried for some years, beneath the tangle of shrubs and trees.










From the conservatory, there is evidence of new growth, inside and out.

The lawn, with its wildflower patch and clumps of crocus brings me great joy, as do the glimpses of new growth in the borders.








The windowsill inside the house is home to the nursery of seedlings that will later be planted out in various parts of the garden.

The newly-purchased houseplants add similar comfort to the interior living space.


Gardening is part of the new me. It brings me comfort, provides structure to my day, and puts delicious food on the table. Time, indeed to tend the garden and sow some seeds. It is egocentric to wish that someone will provide the flowers for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment